Keeping the vehicle in top shape is on every car owner’s agenda. While staying on top of oil change schedule is a big deal, what’s on the outside counts just as much. Protecting your car’s paint is a simple way to keep it looking stellar for years to come while minimizing maintenance efforts.
The key to year-round beautiful appearance is paint protection film. Let’s dig a little deeper into what it’s all about and why your car may need it today.
What is Paint Protection Film?
Paint protection film or Clear Bra is a layer of urethane material. This strong polymer constructed from carbamate is transparent and lightweight. When applied to your vehicle, it turns into an invisible layer of protection against dirt, chemicals, UV rays, and scratches.
Damage and Corrosion Protection
In short, a paint protection film allows your car to look better longer. This shield protects the paint from bugs, pebbles, scratches, chips, and other small damage your car faces on the road.
The best part about urethane is that it resists corrosion and chemicals, saving your paint from bird droppings, mineral deposits, acid rain, and more. It can also keep the paint from fading due to long exposure to harsh UV rays.
Did you know that high-quality paint protection film heals itself? When the film suffers damage, it maintains the integrity and continues offering protection for your vehicle.
Clear bra comes with several layers made up of polyurethane, adhesives, and polyesters, which are arranged using the microreplication process. These layers manage to dissipate any damage inflicted on the film while keeping the paint untouched.
How Does Paint Protection Film Work?
Clear bra offers a physical barrier between the elements and the paint while improving the appearance in the process.
- The adhesive helps the film stick to the paint without damaging the surface. It’s easily removable at any time.
- The polyurethane layer creates a thick yet virtually invisible coating that prevents dirt, debris, and pebbles from damaging your vehicle.
- The clear coat layer keeps the film itself from fading, staining, and yellowing (which is often an issue with low-quality paint protection options).
The self-healing part is a little trickier. Once the film suffers damage, it requires heat to heal itself. Heat allows the film to rearrange particles in the layers. From the outside, it looks like the damage is disappearing.
Unless the car is damaged in the same spot over and over again, the self-healing continues working effectively throughout the film’s lifespan.
Does Paint Protection Film Require Maintenance?
While you can’t just install and forget about the paint protection film, the maintenance process is minimal.
- Avoid touching the film for several days (from 48 hours to seven days, depending on the installer’s instructions) after installation so it cures properly.
- Avoid washing and waxing the car several days after installation.
- Avoid washing the vehicle in direct sunlight or while the surface is hot.
- Clean and dust the surface regularly while paying special attention to the edges of the film.
- Take advantage of high-quality cleaning products with lubrication additives.
- Use high-quality mitt and microfiber cloth to clean the film.
- Remove bug splatter, bird droppings, and any other chemical stains as soon as they appear.
- Dry the vehicle with a cloth or a towel. Don’t leave it to air dry.
- Apply light wax once a month to keep the film looking its best while making cleaning easier.
In short, taking care of the paint protection film is just as easy as caring for the paint without it.
How Long Does Paint Protection Film Last?
One of the top advantages of the paint protection film is its longevity. Generally, the film lasts between 5 and 10 years. High-quality clear bra like Xpel comes with a 10-year warranty, which means it’s likely to last even longer.
Besides the quality of the film, the life expectancy of your paint protection materials depends on several factors:
- Surface preparation — the quality of the surface underneath the film dictates the longevity of the protection. So the prep work must be excellent and done by experts.
- Installation quality — the paint protection film installation comes with numerous nuances. It should be handled by a trustworthy professional.
- Environmental issues — continuous exposure to direct sunlight may decrease the film’s lifespan. Meanwhile, regular damages, especially to the same spot, can also wear the protection down.
- Maintenance — cleaning the film regularly (especially, removing chemical stains timely) is essential to helping it last longer.
In most cases, people decide to buy a new car before the paint protection film gives out.
If you’ve purchased a used vehicle with the protection film installed, make sure to ask when it was done. Remember, removing the old protection layer doesn’t damage the paint. So if the film doesn’t look its best, opt for removing the old one and installing new protection.
Pros and Cons of Paint Protection Film
To make the final decision about installing paint protection film, let’s weigh the pros and cons.
- High-level of paint protection
- Quick installation
- Impressive longevity
- Better vehicle appearance
- Self-healing properties
- Easy maintenance
- Peace of mind
- Non-DIY solution
- Can be costly
Is Paint Protection Film the Right Solution for My Car?
If you want your car looking perfect for many years to come, consider protecting its paint. With time, minor damages to the surface could lead to serious problems like body corrosion. Meanwhile, a small scratch or chip could be mood-killers.
While other paint protection options exist, the film is the most durable and long-lasting solution. If you are on a tight budget, you can consider partial film protection for your vehicle.
Taking Full Advantage of Paint Protection Film Today
Installing paint protection film is an excellent way to protect your vehicle, keep it looking new longer, and enjoying peace of mind about its integrity.
At GForce Films, we have extensive experience installing top-notch paint protection film on all types of vehicles. If you’ve made a decision to take full advantage of this solution, don’t hesitate to contact us at any convenient time.
- 5 Easy Tips You Should Know to Maintain Your Car Vinyl Wrap - November 23, 2021
- 6 Common Myths About Window Tinting Debunked - September 27, 2021
- How Does Window Tinting Reduce Heat Inside of My Car? - August 27, 2021